How to Tone Blonde Hair Extensions at Home
We get lots of hair extension questions in our DM’s every day, but lately, there’s one particular one that keeps popping up all the time. That’s how to remove warm tones from blonde hair extensions.
If you’ve bought blonde hair extensions in the past, you would have noticed that they almost always come with a slightly warm, brassy tone. That’s because the hair is bleached, but not toned. If your blonde hair is entirely natural and untoned, your new extensions may match as is, but chances are, your hair has had some kind of treatment which means your extensions will also require toning to match.
It’s super easy to tone your extensions at home with purple shampoo.
To achieve a cool platinum blonde, choose Platinum 60# Medusa extensions. Purchase a good toning shampoo. We suggest De Lorenzo Nova Fusion Silver Shampoo, not only is it a quality Australian product, but it is also vegan and cruelty-free!
Step by step method:
- Wet extensions.
- Add shampoo to some warm water in a bowl and gently mix together.
- Test a small section of hair first. (Avoid applying shampoo directly onto the hair as it will leave nasty irregular purple patches!)
- Carefully rinse one weft at a time in the bowl, being careful not to over-tone. This should take less than a minute per weft.
- Rinse the hair in another bowl of clean water and condition with a good conditioner.
- After conditioning, allow your extensions to air dry – style as usual.
Give it a try and let us know how you go!