I have always found the ethereal, intricate boho braids the babes of Pinterest seem to pull off so effortlessly to appear way too difficult and out of reach for little mortal me.
I guess I figured if I had a stylist and photoshop maybe then and only then I could achieve that end result too.
However, as the days have warmed up and the festive events increased, I realised I wanted to find some easy ways to fashion my mop in a different way. I needed to step out of my usual two hairstyles routine (up in a messy knot, and out, tousled with salt spray. Nice, but come on).
Determined to find the easiest, prettiest braid out there, I scoured my favourite sites until I discovered the one I thought nailed it. It looks dreamy, whimsical, needs virtually no skills, no accessories, and takes less than five minutes to complete.
The Half Up Braided Crown:
1. This beautiful ‘do looks amazing with long, cascading waves, so be sure to begin by adding hair extensions if you haven’t already, and then creating some random curls with your tongs to give it that extra boho-ey edge.
2. Start by parting your hair straight down the middle.
3. Gather together a large section from one side, at the top of your head, about 2-3cm back from your hairline.
4. Braid the section. Work your braid back from your face in a diagonal direction downwards, as opposed to straight down, then tie it off with an elastic.
5. Repeat on the other side.
6. Cross the first braid behind your head so that the braid swoops down to the nape of your neck (this is the feminine, boho-ey part, as opposed to crossing it straight behind the back of the head). Pin in place with bobby pins, making sure to tuck in the tail.
7. Repeat on the other side.
8. For a final touch, pull out some wispy pieces from either side to softly frame your face.